Skip to main content


What is IGETC?

Undergraduate degrees typically have two components: general education courses and major courses. General education requirements (sometimes called the breadth requirement) are designed to give undergraduates a broad background in all major academic disciplines. Every college sets its own general education requirements, including each University of California (UC) and California State University (CSU) campus. However, the UC and CSU systems have agreements with California Community Colleges that gives community college students the option of completing the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) to satisfy the lower-division general education requirements. IGETC is most helpful to students who want to keep their options open — specifically, those who know they want to transfer but haven't yet decided upon a particular institution, campus or major.

How do I earn IGETC certification?

Certification of IGETC completion is done by the community college. To qualify, students must complete courses that satisfy each IGETC category requirement. A community college course can satisfy only one IGETC subject area even if it is listed on the IGETC Course Agreement in more than one area. The Compton College Catalog identifies which courses satisfy each requirement.

All qualifying courses must be passed with a grade of C or better. AP Exam scores of 3 or higher can also satisfy category requirements, as shown in this summary chart and explained on page 10 of the IGETC Standards, Policies, and Procedures.

IGETC Subject Area Requirements
Area Required Courses
1 - English Communication

3 courses

One in English composition
One in critical thinking-English composition
One in oral communication (CSU only)

2 - Mathematical Concepts & Quantitative Reasoning 1 course
3 - Arts and Humanities

3 courses

At least one course from the Arts and one from the Humanities

4 - Social and Behavioral Sciences

3 courses

Including courses from at least two disciplines

5 - Physical and Biological Sciences

2 courses

One physical science course and one biological science course, at least one of which includes a laboratory

6 - Language other than English Proficiency equivalent to two years of high school courses in the same language (UC only)